Table of Contents
Wooden accents can add a touch of luxury and warmth to any room, and the bathroom is no exception. If you’re looking for ideas on how to use wood in your bathroom, you’ve come to the right place. Below are some practical ways to incorporate wood into your bathroom design, the pros and cons of using wood inside your bathroom, and how to care for the wood in your bathroom.
Types of Wood you can Use in your Bathroom
If you want wood in your bathroom, it’s important to understand the different types of wood suitable for a wet environment. This way, you can select wood that will work well with your specific needs and design preferences. Choosing the right type of wood for your bathroom will also ensure that it lasts long enough for you to enjoy its beauty and functionality.
Plywood Bathroom Walls
Plywood is wood that has been cut into thin slices or veneers, then glued together to form a thicker piece of wood. Plywood is strong and stable, making it an excellent material for structural elements such as your floors, cabinets, furniture, and even shower panels. You can also use plywood on your walls, but be sure to seal all the seams with a waterproof adhesive or caulk to prevent water damage.
Laminated Wood Bathroom Walls
Laminated wood is created by pressing thin wood slices together under high pressure and heat. The result is a beautiful wood that is resistant to moisture and warping. Laminated wood is perfect for use in the bathroom as it will not warp or fade when exposed to humidity and moisture.
Solid Wood Bathroom Walls
Although solid wood is less resistant to moisture than plywood or laminated wood, it can still be used in the bathroom if you take a few precautions. Be sure to seal all seams with waterproof adhesive or caulk and use a wood sealant on the wood every few months to help protect it from moisture. If you choose solid wood for your bathroom walls, select a type of wood resistant to moisture, such as cedar, teak, or mahogany.
How to Protect the Wood in your Bathroom from Water Damage
No matter what type of wood you choose for your bathroom, it’s essential to take steps to protect it from water damage. Water can cause the wood to swell, warp, and rot, which will ruin its appearance and functionality. Here are a few ways that you can help protect the wood in your bathroom from water damage:
- Seal all wood seams with waterproof adhesive or caulk
- Seal the wood with a wood sealant every few months
- Clean up spills immediately and dry the area with a clean cloth
- Wipe down any wet areas after you shower to help dry them out faster. (This will also prevent water spots on chrome fixtures.)
- Keep the humidity level in your bathroom below 50%
The Pros and Cons of using wood in your Bathroom
Every design decision has advantages and disadvantages, and using wood in your bathroom is no exception. Here are a few of the pros and cons to consider before making a final decision:
- Wood adds a touch of luxury and warmth to any room.
- Many different types of wood can be used in the bathroom, so you can select one that best suits your needs and preferences.
- Wood is a natural and environmentally friendly material.
- Wood is susceptible to water damage if not adequately protected.
- Wood can be expensive, depending on the type you choose.
- Wood can be difficult to maintain and may require periodic staining or sealing.
How to Maintain Wood in your Bathroom
Maintaining wood in your bathroom is not as difficult as it may seem, but it does require a little bit of effort. Here are a few tips on how to keep your wood looking its best:
- Clean wood surfaces with a damp cloth and mild detergent. Be sure to dry the wood completely afterward.
- Apply a wood sealant every few months to protect the wood from moisture
- Repair any scratches or dents as soon as possible to prevent them from becoming worse
- Replace any damaged wood as quickly as possible to prevent further water damage
Wood can be a beautiful addition to your bathroom, but it’s essential to use the correct type of wood and protect it from water damage. The Woodworkers Shoppe has a wide selection of quality wood perfect for your bathroom renovation project. Be sure to check out our website for more information on selecting the right type of wood and keeping it looking beautiful for years to come.