Table of Contents
How to Add Rustic Charm to Your Home
Do you love the rustic charm of a log cabin? If so, you can add some of that charm to your home by installing a log mantel. Log mantels are a great way to add character and warmth to your living space. In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of using a log mantel in your home and how to install one. We will also provide tips on choosing the right log mantel for your needs.
What is a Log Mantel?
A log mantel is a decorative piece typically made from a single piece of wood. Log mantels are often used in rustic-style homes to add a touch of charm and character. Log mantels can be installed over a fireplace or hung on the wall as a standalone decoration.
Types of Log & Timber Mantels
There are a few different types of log mantels that you can choose from. The type of log mantel that you choose will depend on your personal preferences and the overall style of your home.
- Rustic Log Mantels: Rustic log mantels are made from natural, unfinished wood. This type of log mantel is perfect for homes with rustic or cabin-style décor.
- Finished Log Mantels: Finished log mantels are made from wood that has been sanded, stained, or clear coated. This type of log mantel is a good choice if you want to add a touch of elegance to your home.
- Custom Log Mantels: Custom log mantels are made to order. This means that you can choose your log mantel’s size, style, and finish. Custom log mantels are an excellent choice if you have specific design requirements.
Types of Logs used as Mantels
Two main types of logs can be used as log mantels:
- Green Logs: Green logs are freshly cut logs that have not been seasoned. Green logs will shrink and crack as they dry, so they are not the best choice for log mantels.
- Seasoned Logs: Seasoned logs are logs that have been cut and allowed to dry for at least six months or kiln-dried to precise moisture contents. Seasoned logs are a better choice for log mantels because they are less likely to shrink or crack.
How to Choose a Log Mantel
When choosing a log mantel, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind.
- Style: There are a few different styles of log mantels to choose from. The style of log mantel that you choose should match the overall décor of your home.
- Size: The size of your log mantel will depend on your fireplace or the wall space you have available. Make sure to measure the area where you want to install your log mantel before purchasing.
- Finish: The finish of your log mantel will also play a role in the overall look of your home. Log mantels are available in unfinished, natural wood finishes as well as, stained and clear coat sealed, finishes. Choose a finish that compliments the other décor in your home.
- Installation: Installing a log mantel is a relatively straightforward process. However, it is essential to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to avoid damaging your mantel or home.
Benefits of Log Mantels
A few benefits come with using a log mantel in your home.
- Log mantels add charm and character to your living space.
- Log mantels can accentuate your fireplace or as a standalone decoration.
- Our mantels are available in various styles, sizes, and finishes.
- Log mantels are relatively easy to install.
How to install Log Mantels
Installing a log mantel is a relatively straightforward process. Below are seven steps you can follow while installing:
- Begin by measuring the area where you want to install your mantel.
- Use a stud finder to locate the studs in your wall.
- Once you have located the studs, mark their location with a pencil.
- Install the brackets that will support your mantel. The brackets should be installed at least six inches above the fireplace opening. Read your fireplace manual for proper height clearances.
- Use a drill to secure the brackets into the studs and make sure that the brackets are level to each other.
- Once the brackets are installed, you can place your mantel on them.
- Finally, use screws or nails to secure the mantel to the brackets.
A log mantel can be a beautiful addition to your home, and at The Woodworkers Shoppe, we have a wide variety of options for you to choose from. Our mantels are made of the highest quality materials and are built to last. Not only do they add beauty and style to your home, but they also provide functionality and added warmth on those cold winter days. If you’re thinking about adding a log mantel to your home, contact us today for more information or visit our website to see our selection of beautiful mantels.